Saturday, November 3, 2012

Rain, Sleet & 8 miles

If you follow me on Twitter you know that the past few weeks have been INSANE for my wife, daughter and I. I've increased my workload, packed our old house, moved into a our new house and painted our living room. We'll begin painting our bedroom in a week or two, but for now we're finally taking a deep breath.

This morning I laced up my running shoes and headed out for the first time in almost a month. I didn't expect much, but knew that I had to at least hit 8 miles today to get back on track for my half marathon next month. We have only been in our new rental house for a week or so now and I hadn't had the opportunity to explore the surrounding roads.

I took off out of our driveway and ran down a busy state highway that only left me a small path with shin high grass to tromp through. After 1/2 a mile I was faced with the choice of turning left (gravel road) or right (paved road)

Being a minority...left handed...I opted to go left and head down the gravel road. Being indecisive...I opted to turn around after about 20 seconds. I remembered my main complaint about where we used to live was that it involved running a good portion of my runs on gravel and I hated every second of it.

I turned around and discovered that it was somewhat hilly, but not overally hilly, and that I could get in a good amount of miles. I ended up running an entire loop and got a nice little walk in at the end. At about mile 3 I was reminded that weather men have the easiest job in the world...the rain that was supposed to go around us...didn't. It sprinkled for a few minutes and then at about mile 5 it turned into sleet. It was like little drops of ice constantly hitting me.

It was a great run and I'm looking forward to getting back at it now that life has calmed down a little. I've joined a local gym and will be doing most of my weekly miles there and then trying my hardest to get my long runs outside on the weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment